
My children would fondly remember when Punk made this fudge. It seemed like it was his specialty for a while. Fudge-making seemed to often be a part of our Sunday afternoons at home when I was a child. Perhaps it was Ruth who started making it. She still makes it sometimes.
I think there is a bit of an "art" to making fudge the traditional way, which this recipe is. A candy thermometer is a must. I have learned not to boil it hard, because that makes it grainier. Punk's recipe says to cook it to 231 degrees, which is below the soft ball stage (237 degrees) most recipes call for.
Punk's Fudge
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup cocoa
A sprinkle of salt
Cook at a medium boil until it reaches 231 degrees.
Add:
1/4 cup of margarine
gobs of peanut butter (probably about 1/3 cup??!!??)
vanilla, probably about 2 tsp.
Cool until bottom of the pan is lukewarm. Beat with an electric mixer until it starts to lose its gloss. Pour into a greased 8 inch pan or plate.
Don't eat too much! And remember, practice makes perfect!
No comments:
Post a Comment